When it comes to car seats, a lot goes into the decision. How long do you plan to use the car seat (i.e. up to what weight)? What’s most comfortable so that your child may even be willing to get into it. And, of course, how much to spend? Our decision was to go with the one pictured here, the Britax Boulevard, but there are tons of options. We’ve put together our top picks to give you a starting point and lay out some of the things you can consider.
IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS, according to CarStrollers.com 😉
- Comfort – Test that your baby is comfortable and likes sitting in the car seat. You can just go to stores and plop your baby down and see her reactions. Also, reviews really help with this, and is how we decided on our Britax Boulevard. You can still take advantage of online sales, discounts, and free shipping after you let your baby test out a few in the stores.
- Length of Use – This is critical! The longer you plan to use it, the more you recoup your investment and the higher the weight limit you will require. More importantly, the longer you use keep your child in a 5-point restraining system the safer she will be.
- Number of seats – Some people need more than one car seat either because they have more than one youngster or to reduce the hassle of taking one in and out of their two or more cars. Our advice is to disregard this factor, and if you need more than one you should just get more of the one you chose based on the other important factors – so long as it does not make you bankrupt.
- Safety – Go with a brand/manufacturer with a good safety record (no recalls), as those are the ones paying attention to your child’s safety.
- Price – The range is great, starting at $50 and go up to $250. The higher priced ones can generally be used for much longer because of the increased weigh capacity. We strongly recommend looking at those which accommodate children up to 65 lbs because the longer your child is in a 5-point restraining system, the safer she is.
JUNE 2010 BESTSELLERS <<< Click for images, prices, and more information
- Graco High Back TurboBooster Car Seat, Wander
- Evenflo Triumph Advance LX Convertible Car Seat – Harbortown
- Graco Backless TurboBooster Car Seat, Baker
- Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster Car Seat, Rushmore
- Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat Base, Silver
- Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat, Matrix
- Britax Roundabout Convertible Car Seat Onyx
- Cosco Scenera Convertible Car Seat, Triton
- Graco Spree Travel System, Barcelona Bluegrass
- Evenflo Big Kid DLX Booster Car Seat – Cactus